Thursday 4 November 2010

Life In The Gambia Is Fragile

Life In The Gambia Is Fragile

Life in The Gambia is more fragile than here in the UK. This hit home
to me more than usual when I was informed two days ago that my 16 year
old next door neighbour, Musa Touray, had suddenly passed away. Musa
was a wonderful boy, polite, respectful and highly intelligent. He was
always offering to help in the school compound, was so gentle in nature
and had the most amazing smile. Age expectancy in this country, one of
the smallest in Africa and about five times the population of Plymouth,
is low, around 54 for men and 57 for women. Around 8% of new born
babies don't make it to a year old, and approximately 10% of children
die before their 5th birthday. For this lovely boy to die at 16 of
unexplained causes is just so sad for Musa's extended family and many
friends but death is such a common occurrence in The Gambia that people
accept it as part of life and Allah's will. I am lucky to have a deeply
strong belief in a life after this one as have the vast majority of
Gambians and Christians in this beautiful but hard country. I am eager
to get back to The Gambia to give my support to those close to Musa and
to try to make life better for the children who are there. I know many
of you read my blog and I would love to hear your comments. Until next
time, love Debbie xx

No comments: